Thursday, January 10, 2013

What would you truly enjoy doing in 2013?

So is your 2013 resolutions list out yet? Frankly, I’m not much of a
resolutions person. While I like the idea of it, I don’t like that in
practice it generally fades off by February. And come June, it’s long
forgotten and come December, I feel lousy about myself for not having
kept at it! So I generally avoid it.

But I do like the idea of it. And I find that, especially in
relationships, resolutions and frequent revisiting of resolutions
really help.

So, here’s something that you can do this year. Forget the long list.
Just do this. Fill in this blank: I think doing ______ in 2013 would
be fantastic.  And fill it three or five times. So now you have top
three or five things you’d like to do this year. Ask your spouse to do
the same. And, please, no cheating. Once done, compare your list.

You might be surprised by what comes out of it! Maybe out of your own
list, especially when you begin to truly introspect and even
prioritize things that you want to do, and maybe that of your spouse!
You might go, ‘Really? I didn’t know you enjoyed doing that! or, I
always thought that was a passing fad, and didn’t know it was
something you were serious about!’

Either way, it’s a great way to get done the things you truly enjoy
doing, discover new things and even maybe secret interests of your
spouse. This is also a great opportunity for both of you to be truly
supportive and encouraging of one another’s passions and interests.
This understanding works as a solid foundation for lasting
relationships. We’re so often focused on what ‘we’ want, what ‘we’ are
interested in that we tend to neglect our spouse’s feelings. This
effort towards supporting and understanding each other will truly pave
the way for a solid relationship.

So, get started! And go fulfill your dreams this 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment